Thursday, October 6, 2011

Burlap Ghost Lights {PB Knock-Off}

I was looking for some Halloween inspiration and came across these cute ghost lights from Pottery Barn.
Here is my knock-off version! Aren't they cute?
The hardest part of this project was figuring out what to use for the head. I searched online and found these clear plastic ornaments that were perfect.
I drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom of each ornament. They serparate, so I drilled the hole in the middle of the two pieces.
Since most of the ghosts I know are white *wink*wink*, I decided to go with off-white burlap rather than the brown Pottery Barn used. I cut it into 11" squares and stacked them on top of each other.
 I took one square and wrapped it around the ornament and drew eyes with a marker.
 Then, I placed the square back on the pile and used the back of a paintbrush to paint over the marker. 
Some of the paint should go through to square underneath, which is perfect because it marks where the eyes go on the next square. Repeat until all the eyes are painted.
I found a strand of lights (I painted the wires cream because I only had green) and poked a light through the center of the burlap. I wiggled it around to make the hole bigger and stuck the light through to the back.
I placed the light in half the ornament,
added the other half,
and tied a piece of twine around the neck.
And now I have some really cute lights for Halloween.
 
They're just as cute when they're not lit up.
Linking to these great parties:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsThe Shabby NestUndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucket


Monday Amaze Me Mon, Craftastic Mon, Craft-O-Manic Mon, Homemaker Mon, Inspire Me Mon, Link Party Mon, Mad Skills, Mad Skills Mon, Made By You Mon, Made With Love Mon, Make Something Mon, Making Mon Marvelous, Making the World Cuter, Market Yourself Mon, Marvelous Mess Mon, Masterpiece Mon, Metamorphosis Mon, Motivate Me Mon, Blog Party, Project Parade, Share Mon, Thrifty Décor Chick, Unwasted Homemaking, Craft Catwalk, Craftaholics Anonyomous Tuesday All Thingz Related, Anti Procrastination Tues, Get Your Craft On, Handmade Tues, Home Stories A to Z, It's Sew Fun, maze Me August, Power Of Paint, Show Me What You Got, Sizzle into Summer, Take A Look Tues, Teriffic Under Ten Tues, Time To Shine,Tip Me Tuesday, Too Cute Tues, Tues Time Out, Tuesday Trash 2 Treasure, Tuesday's Treasures, Tutorial Tuesday, Who's Got Glam? Wednesday Anything Goes, DIY Under $5, Hoo's Got Talent?, Idea Sharing Wed, Linkin' with Luna, Look What I Made, Penny Pinching Party, Primp Your Stuff Wed, Show And Share, Show And Tell, We Did It Wed, What I Made Wed, What I Whipped Up Wed, What’s Up Wed, Whatever Goes Wed, Wicked Awesome Wed, Wow Me Wed, Wow Me Wed, Thursday A Crafty Soiree, Creative Juice, Catch A Glimpse Thur, Commercial Break Thursday, Get Your Brag On, Hookin' UpShare Awesomness Thur, Show Off Your Stuff, Strut Your Stuff ThurCatch as Catch Can, Transformation Thur, Under $100 Linky Party, Friday Delicate Construction, Fantabulous Fri, Feature Your Sassy Sites, Feature Yourself  Fri, Flaunt It FriFree For All Fri, Fri Favorites, Fri Link Party, Frugal Fri, Frugalicious Fri, I'm Lovin' It Fri, Inspiration Fri, Lovely Crafty Weekend, Remodelaholic Fri, Weekend Wander, Weekend Wrap-Up, Whatcha Got Weekend, Saturday Sat is Crafty Day, Sat Nite Special, Sat Spotlight, Show & Tell Sat, Strut Your Stuff, Summer Lovin' Sat Soiree, Sunday Just Something I Whipped Up, Nifty Thrifty SunSister Sister Sun, Sun Showcase, Sun Scoop, Think Pink Sun, You're So Creative

54 comments:

ivalex said...

:) It is cool ... very good idea.

Gen said...

These are so adorable! I like the white better too ;) If I ever find small globes like these I'll definitely try my hand at making them!

Sharon @ mamadoitall.blogspot.com said...

What a great idea! You all are amazingly talented. I passed along my Liebster Award to you in my post today - check out my site if you are interested! mamadoitall.blogspot.com. Your content is awesome - can 't wait to read more! :-)

Simply Sammie said...

These are SO stinkin cute! I like them even better then the original. Thanks so much for sharing.

Elaine said...

Great job, love them!
And they are much better than the ones from PB!
thanks for sharing:)

Cherise said...

Very cute & cleaver! Thanks for sharing! :)

Sylvie Créative - Créations Ma Déco Maison said...

Great and cute!

Jessabells said...

Came over from Ucreate. These are the coolest ghosts ever!

I'm now a follower of your blog.

Jessica

Jaimee said...

These are SO awesome!! Great job on your knock-off! Saw you on TT&J's Weekend Wrap-Up : )
Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

LIVLIG said...

Love these. But my only worry: isn't the plastic getting too warm? As in: is this safe to use for a longer period?

Jaymie said...

Just stopped in from Nifty Thrifty Sunday. Love this idea! How fun. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jaymie @ http://dancesdishesanddreams.blogspot.com

Nikki@EverythingUndertheMoon said...

This is such a great idea! I actually like yours better. Would love it if you would stop by and share these at my linky party. http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/bedazzle-me-monday-3.html

Hope to see you there!!

Dianna said...

Hello - stopping in from COM Monday. I just wanted to say that these are great! I too like yours better. You've definitely gotten a new follower out of me!

Sally said...

What a cute idea! You did a great job on them. Thanks for sharing!

WobiSobi said...

This is so awesome!!

Jessica said...

I am a sucker for all things Pottery Barn! Anything that is a PB knockoff, I can't get enough of. You really pulled it off. Love it!

One Tough Mother said...

These are fabulous!!! Seriously love these so much...
I'd love to have them on {Not So} Tough Tuesday's on One Tough Mother - going on until Wednesday at midnight.

www.onetoughmom.blogspot.com

Hope to see you there!

Andrea Brand . Charcoal and Crayons said...

These are absolutely fantastic! I actually like your version better... Thanks for sharing!

Graziela said...

I have a feeling Oriental Trading Company is going to sell out of those plastic ornaments! Those are so awesome! Very creative! Thank you for sharing, I posted this on my facebook as well as pinterest. ;)

Connie (Grandma C) said...

So very cute and so seasonal! How did you paint the wires on your lights? I also have some lights I want to use inside my dgd's bed canopy but I don't know what paint to use or how to apply it spray?? brush?? Yours look great so I'd really like some advice!

Katalina Jewelry said...

Light up ghosts...so adorable! Thanks for sharing how they were made!

Robin said...

Adorable! I can't believe you made them. They look exactly like the PB version. Well done.

andrea said...

Simply adorable and jsut perfect for a party! andrea@townandprairie

WhyCuzICan said...

Too sweet :) Nice job! Love that you didn't give up, even though finding the bulbs weren't too easy for you :D

Visiting form The Shabby Nest Linky Party,
~Suzanne in NW IL

Jess@Balancing The Dream said...

How cute is this!!! I am sooo putting this on our porch for Halloween!!! Pinning now!!

april@gingerbread said...

ok those lights are adorable...what a great idea! I hope you will linkup with me here:
http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/10/sweet-saturday-v9.html

Jen-CraftOManiac said...

You will be featured tomorrow on COM. Well done. LOVE IT. xo jen

Mandi@MandiBeingCrafty said...

what a great idea! New follower!

Sassy Sites! said...

Good morning!! You got a Saturday Shout Out over at Sassy Sites! Come on by and grab a button!! XOXO!

Trish and Bonnie @ Uncommon said...

Love these! You did a fabulous job!! ;)

Michelle said...

These are utter perfection! Better than the original! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $15!

At The Picket Fence said...

Those are just absolutely adorable! Thanks so much for sharing your talent and creativity with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

{nifty thrifty things} said...

Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
Your cute ghost lights have been featured at this week's party! :)
xoxo,
Vanessa @ {nifty thrift things}

malia said...

completely wonderful!!!

Mariaelena said...

These are awesome...you did an great job....thx for sharing...enjoy them...Happy Sunday, Mariaelena

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

I love these lights! I am always making Pottery Barn knockoffs and these are fabulous!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I featured your cute ghosts on this week's Terrific Under Ten!
http://athomewithk.blogspot.com/2011/10/terrific-under-ten-tuesday-34.html

HuNnY aNd PoPpA LeWiS said...

These are so cute --super idea! Thanks for sharing :)

Marie said...

So cute! Great job! Thanks for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can't wait to see what you link up this week!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

These are just too cute. I like yours way better then the Pottery Barn ones. I would love to feature you on my blog for my Feature Me Daily. My blog is http://www.scrappingpinklady. I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog.

Lisa Scrappingpinklady

CurlyGirlD said...

These are adorable! I HAVE to try these out for my front porch! Thanks so much for sharing.

Courtney McAulay said...

I featured this post today at the Crazy Cute Link Party! :D

www.betweenuandme.com

gina said...

Yours look better than the PB version. Too cute!!

gail said...

They ARE just as cute not lit up.
Super job!
gail
ps catching you this week

Crafty Mischief said...

I just love your little burlap ghosts! I found you through My Repurposed Life. Thanks for sharing!

WOW Gold Eu said...

there were not any strategies prior to everyone reading this article Smile At this point however, I would love to take note of some suggestions on the way it should search.




Cheapest WOW Gold

Buy World Of Warcraft Gold

Cheapwowgold said...

These guys are experts when it comes to agriculture in the WOW Goldto sell to other players of different amounts of money. Therefore, if you want some World Of Warcraft Gold, you know, who you turn to gold producersIt is well known that Tera Gold credits by obtaining the services of the team .

Anonymous said...

If you always write interesting, I will be your regular reader. skin care Read a useful article about tramadol tramadol

torri said...

I LOVE this idea and want to do it too! How long was your string of lights, or maybe a better question is--how many ornaments did you get to do this? Thanks for your help!

Anonymous said...

I just made the cutest lights, thanks to your inspiration! I bought heavy beige burlap from Joann's. I used ping pong balls (8 for $1.00 from Dollar Store) for the heads. I punched a hole with a screw, then poked in progressively larger screwdrivers until the proper sized hole was created. I bought LED battery operated lights, a white string of 30, and had ghosts hanging every fourth bulb. The LED lights were so bright, that I painted the non-ghost lights with orange acrylic paint, just to tone the brightness down. I like the idea of the battery lights, as they stay cool and I do not have to worry about a fire! The lights were $4.99 from a local variety store.

BarbaraAnn said...

This is the best I am warning my husband, a very patient man, we are doing this project this weekend.

Noelle Tabor said...

Fun! Has anyone tried this project using globe string lights? I wonder if that would help skip the drilling step?

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

Yours are much cuter than the pottery barn ones!!!

Jill said...

What a brilliant idea and not too difficult to make. Certainly going to pin these to make for next year. Don't think I'll have time for this Halloween but will try! My little one will love them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...